Friday, March 27, 2009

A Purrfect Love Affair


I have always loved cats. My earliest memory of owning a cat was when I was about 5 or 6 years old. My love affair with them started way back in 1987 when we moved to San Pedro, Laguna from Quezon City. Her name was Muning, a typical name any first-time cat owner would name his or her cat. I remember getting upset when I saw Muning being taken by a visitor in our neighbor's backyard.

My siblings have had dogs, whereas a cat was what I always preferred. I even remember my late Mama saying, "Mahilig ka talaga sa pusa. Ne, maliit ka pa oh naalala ko, uuwi kang may dalang pusa." (Memories... Ma, I miss you na! I love you!)

Through the years, I've had many cats with names ranging from Penelope Laila (after Liza Milo - do you remember her from that scary tv show? yep, I knew her), Ling-ming Mei (after that Macros character), Pen (short for Penelope Laila, her life was also short *sad*), Orange Waffle, My Beautiful Gorgo (after Queen Gorgo of King Leonidas in the movie 300), Kat-Kat (a male cat which I gave a girl's name hehe), Amy, Chub-Chub, Snow Flake (because he was white as snow), Cibo, Prince Albert (after that Sweet Valley High character) and many more I can't even remember at all.

A few months ago, I was reading a Reader's Digest magazine when I came across an article, entitled Garfield's Good-Life Guide, which caught my attention. It was about cats and why they behave like they do. What struck me was when it said:

"Let the cat make the first move. Don't come to me and expect me to rejoice. I will come to you - on my own terms and in my own time. When I meet a new human, I know immediately whether he's a cat person. If he pets me and suffocates me with hugs, yuck! It's so over. But if he ignores me or is allergic or is terrified, I find him irresistible. Unlike indiscriminate dogs, a cat likes a challenge. Always let the cat make the first move, or suffer the consequences."

It was like I was reading an article about me. That was when I concluded that my fascination with cats had something to do with how we both interact with people. Of all the other items on the article, only one was not applicable to me. That also made me almost conclude that I have a high-functioning autism. Especially when I heard about the book entitled All Cats Have Asperger's Syndrome. But it's all vague right?

It was weird because I knew it was not impossible to happen. Then again, weird is nothing new to me. Hmm, I don't think this purrfect love affair is yet to be over.


Reference: All Cats Have Asperger Syndrom by Kathy Hoopman
Garfield's Good-Life Guide by RD Pets, Reader's Digest January 2008

No comments: