Sunday, January 20, 2008

Why Are You Letting These Happen Anyway?

Maggie was lying on her bed. A window stares back with its bustle and lights. Not far away, the church bells sings its chorus. It's Sunday again.

Her bald head itching, Maggie stared back at the pair of windows with inquiring eyes. The sun's rays seemed to be showering her with hope. But it felt nothing. Not even the slightest warmth.

With wet cheeks, Maggie closed her eyes and looked at the indispensable figure at the wall. His arms were wide open in agony, "Lord, please send me someone to look over me. I am in pain. I am in sorrow. I have no one."

Maggie soon fell into a deep sleep. Slumber.

In a blinding flash of light, Maggie woke up. A litte girl stood by her bed. Like Maggie, the little girl had no hair left on her head. Like Maggie, the little girl was frail. But unlike Maggie, the little girl's eyes were smiling. She was happy.

"Who are you?" Maggie asked.

The little girl scratched her hairless top, "You asked for me!"

Without taking her eyes off the little girl, Maggie slowly sat up, "I did?"

With her little hands behind her back, the little girl answered back, "Funny, you asked for me but you can't remember. Humans really are confusing me. Tsk."

"But, but, you have no wings! No hair!" Maggie was starting to get scared.

"Hee hee," the little girl kept herself from laughing out loud.

"Angels need no hair. Angels need no wings! You ask too many questions. Hee hee" the little girl said as she sat beside Maggie. She held up her little hands and touched Maggie's face. An uncomfortable silence swept between the two. They were looking at each other but had nothing to say.

Finally, the little girl broke the stillness, "Tell me, why did you ask for me anyway?"

Maggie closed her eyes and sat up with a heavy sigh. She stared at the little girl and asked, "If there is a God, why did He let this happen to me? If there is a God, why is there pain? If there is God, why is there sorrow? If there is a God,why is there anguish?!"

Breathing heavily, Maggie wept and hid her face in her hands, "I want to sing. I want to shout! How can people say I'm selfish if all I'm thinking is how to make them happy? I want to say to God, please take me. Please?"

The little girl stood up and paced the room smiling, "You see! You know there is a God! You just asked him for something! Again."

Maggie kept on weeping, a hand on her chest and another her on her eyes. The little girl let out a sigh and folded her arms, "You said God is with you (old post link)? Then why are you like this? You know you're right! God is all in us. He's with you. He's with me. He is with everyone."

The little girl sat at the edge of the bed while Maggie just kept to herself still. In a very low voice, the little girl said, "God is a part of all of us put together. When you ask Him why is He letting all these happen, it's like asking yourself why am I letting all these happen to me."

Maggie felt a kiss land on her forehead. She looked up and found herself alone. The indispensable figure on the wall was now gone. The sun's rays washed over her as she heard a knock on the door.

"Hon?"

Maggie looked at the door, closed her eyes, smiled, opened her eyes again and said, "Thank you Lord."

-Mimi and Ms. Debi, thank you para sa concept nung story. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.

Maggie said...

Thanks Amaranth! ^_^